Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Shigh's updated fan fic - Newborn





Disclaimer: I am not making any profit from this story, nor do I claim ownership of the characters used. All credit and ownership goes to Stephanie Meyer.


This starts just before where Breaking Dawn Part I the film finished.


"Carlisle, what if it didn't work? How would we know?" a broken voice somewhere close to my head asks. "What if her heart wasn't strong enough to handle it?" I hear a strange sound, like a sob, and feel a wave of sweetly scented air brush over my face. I know that smell. But right now I just can't think how I know it.

 "Son, I know that this is hard for you, but you're just going to have to wait it out. She's strong. She'll make it". I vaguely wonder why this conversation seems to be happening around me. I feel a slight pressure on my hand and what feels like a pair of lips press to my forehead.

"Bella", the first voice breathes into my hair, "Please make it. Please be okay. Please". The voice seems to be pleading, and I hear it break again as that same, tantalizing smell washes over my face.

Someone enters the room quietly, their feet barely brushing the ground. How strange that I should be able to hear that. "Edward" the person says, their voice high, excited, "she's ready!"

"OH!" I exclaim, my eyes bursting open. I hadn't even realized that they've been closed. But this all made sense now. The voice, the pressure on my hand, the lips pressed to my head, the smell. Of course I recognized the smell of him. I had made it my mission to memorize it. I would know it anywhere, even when it was strangely stronger now than I can ever remember it being.

Edward has been sitting beside me this whole time talking to Carlisle, completely unaware that I've been able to hear what was happening.

His face is quickly in front of mine, and I realize that I'm lying down. That's strange, the last thing I remember is sitting on the couch. I must have fallen asleep. I feel my face cloud.

"Why on earth am I lying down? What's going on? What are Carlisle and Alice doing here?" I ask, the questions tumbling out of my mouth.

He smiles at me, but I notice that his eyes - for some reason black instead of the liquid gold I remember seeing before I fell asleep - tighten the smallest amount at my questions.

"Bella honey," he murmurs, "don't you remember what happened at all?"

I hear Carlisle and Alice leave, satisfied that I'm okay. I know they'll hear what happens though, because they can't avoid their strong hearing.

What do I remember? I remember talking to Edward and Jacob, who were past their anger at one another and were allowing me to see them in the same room at the same time. I remember sitting on the couch, laughing at Jacob's horrible attempts to make me smile. I remember -

"OH!" I practically yell, as memories come rushing back to me.

I remember feeling a sharp pain in my abdomen. The baby who had been nestled there for the shortest time but was somehow was much too big had moved quickly, causing the sound of sharp snaps to bounce around the newly silent room. I remember that sound accompanying the pain of my ribs breaking.

I remember my attempts to laugh off both the sound and the pain, claiming weakly that I guess he (because my child with Edward was always a 'he' in my mind) really wanted to be born now.

I remember seeing the looks of panic on both Edward and Jacob's faces, and watching them harden as they realized that in fact, my baby did want to be born right now.

"I remember now," I whisper, looking towards Edward. "How long was I unconscious? Is our baby okay? Is he as beautiful as you? Did Jacob stay? Am... Am I actually a vampire now? Or am I just dreaming this all?" I stammer.

Edward looks as if he doesn't know where to begin answering my questions.

"You were unconscious for four days, a little longer than usual, but I think your body had more fixing to do. I, well, we all, were so very worried about you Bella," he breathes, staring into my eyes and touching my cheek.

"As for our baby, she isn't as beautiful as me. She's as beautiful as her mother. And she's absolutely fine. Turns out you can't see the future, because she's not the boy you thought she'd be" he laughs.

"As for Jacob, he stayed. He's downstairs at the moment, with our daughter" his eyes tighten again at this. I wonder what that's about. Jacob's one of the best people to be around a child.

"And you aren't dreaming. I shudder to think what would cause a dream like that. So yes, you are a vampire," he finishes. I can't tell if he's pleased by this fact or not. I decide to leave it. For now.

"Perfect. Everything's well in the world then. Now," I begin, hopping down from my bed of the past four days, "can you please take me to our daughter? I never really got the chance to introduce myself, did I?"

"Bella..." He stops. "I don't think that's such a good idea yet. You're a newborn, remember? And she's half human. It wouldn't be safe. You need to hunt first."

Now that he's mentioned it, I guess I am pretty thirsty. And now that I'm aware of it, all I seem to be able to smell is the tantalizing scent of human blood coming from downstairs.

"Of course. Hunt first," I agree wholeheartedly.

The sound of someone running up the stairs reaches my ears the same time the smell hits my nose. That tantalizing smell of human from downstairs.

“Bella! I’m so glad you’re oka-“

Before I can stop myself, I crouch and spring at him, knocking him to the floor. My lips are quickly at his neck, venom filling my mouth, ready to bite. Part of me, the rational part, is aware that this is Jacob pinned underneath me. That he is my best friend, my rock.

But that part is outdone by my thirst. And that thirst is going to be the death of him.

7 comments:

  1. Shigh nice story, its like Im watching the movie, you make it so easy to visualize it all. I cant wait for you to add the rest of the story, I hope we do get to see Bella discover her new power. If you can add that, that would be great. But Im no expert. "BELIEVE IT"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your descriptive language. There's enough to make clear visualizations, but it's still easy to follow. I particularly like the use of different speech words, e.g "murmured" and "tumbling out of my mouth. My only concern, (I had the same issue with my one too) is that you don't want it to sound too similar to the original. But I wouldn't take my concerns too seriously, I still think it sounds really good and creative, can't wait to read the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamiana, i'll try and get that part up as soon as possible :)
    And Laura, thanks. That's the one thing i'm worried about :S Hopefully i can make the next part sound not so similar, or change perspectives or something. I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the use of 1st person POV, and the use of effective describing words. However, I found it kinda hard to figure out what exactly was going on. Maybe it's because the story isnt complete and all will be revealed in further posts. But maybe the addition of a hint somewhere in the beginning to let the reader know whats going on - or am I just too much of a donkey to figure out whats going on. Also I think that the words " I frowned" could be substituted for something maybe more descriptive like: 'a feeling of gloom came over me' or 'my face began to cloud up'. I dont know, you dont have to listen to me, im just spitballin. Like Tamiana would say "BELIEVE IT" - seems to be the overall philosophy........ or not. haha, you don't have to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ben. I think that's another problem that i'm having - the assumption that everyone'll know what it is i'm on about... I'll try and work that hint in there. And i totally agree with you about the 'i frowned' thing. I wrote it with more description, but at the moment i haven't quite finished the full thing and i just KNOW i'm going to go over the word count, so for the moment it's been sacrificed. Hopefully i can keep it down though, and get that in there.
    Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ending! I really didn't see it coming, it was a great twist to throw in there. I also like the way you've used bold and italics in the dialogue, a good way to emphasize what they're saying.
    Awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!
      I tried to make the ending somewhat of a plot twit, because otherwise i thought it'd be much too similar to the original. I was a bit worried about using bold and italics, but i guess it seems to work.
      Thanks!

      Delete