Friday, March 23, 2012

Laura's Final - My Sister's Sacrifice





 Disclaimer: A preview into "The Hunger   Games" through the eyes of Primrose Everdeen. I do not own the characters.  






I open my eyes a tiny crack. Willing myself to go back to sleep. The sooner I’m awake, the sooner I have to face the day ahead. Reaping Day.
The birds are starting to sing, blissfully unaware of what today brings for the residents of District 12.

My sister Katniss is already absent from her bed. She must have gotten up at the crack of dawn to go hunting. I always experience conflicting feelings when she’s out there in those woods. It’s more than just illegal to leave the District, it’s punishable by death. I feel edgy right up until she’s back safely through the front door. But if she didn’t hunt, we wouldn’t eat. I’ve never known anyone to be so skilled with a bow and arrow, with the exception of our father.

I haul myself out of bed, accepting the fact that no further sleep is inevitable.
Half my mind wonders what my sister might be up to. Stalking some innocent creature no doubt, I try not to think of dinner as the defenseless creatures they once were. The other half of my mind struggles to block out images of what’s going to unfold later this afternoon.

Once a year, the ugliness of our government is forced upon us. The Capitol citizens disperse themselves among the districts to flaunt their power. They revel in the entertainment of watching district children as they fight to the death. A sick reminder that they hold all the cards. That rebellion will not be tolerated. The Hunger Games haunts people all year round. You can see it in the worried faces of mothers, the fearful whispered conversations among children. Who will it be this year? A friend or a cousin perhaps? Somebody’s daughter or brother.  The question hangs in the air like a poisonous gas.

 Katniss stumbles through the door, rosy-cheeked and windswept. The knot in my stomach loosens just a little. She’s safe.
“How was the hunt?” My voice shakes with even the simplest of questions.
“Good haul today, we’ll eat well tonight”, she replies. I can tell that her cheerful tone isn’t entirely genuine. I can sense her worry, just like mine, there’s no hiding it. 

The sun is starting to come over the distant hill, its rays peeking in through the thin curtains. A golden glow settles around Katniss, making her look almost angelic. I don’t know what I would do without her.

We go about our morning duties with heavy hearts. A regular day would be filled with chatter, but a somber silence hangs between us instead. It seems we’re both lost in our own thoughts.

This is my first year as part of the Reaping. A child becomes eligible the day they turn 12, my birthday was two weeks ago. I hate to think how I would feel if my name came out of the Reaping Ball. I wouldn’t stand a chance. What worries me even more is that the odds are against my sister. The older you get, the more times your name is added. I try once more, unsuccessfully to push it from my mind. I just want this day to be over.

***

The ribbon in my hair tickles the back of my neck. The blue dress is scratchy against my skin, and my shoes pinch my toes when I walk.
Katniss tells me I look beautiful, but I can’t even bring myself to thank her. I don’t understand why we are expected to wear our best clothes, for such a morbid event.

We join hands as we walk towards the Square. The town is gathered, united by their fear and apprehension. Their collective attention is turned towards the newly erected stage. I glimpse Effie Trinket, the representative from the Capital. Her grin is almost as sickening as her fluorescent pink hair.

I feel Katniss pulling away, as she goes to stand with the other 16 year-olds.
My fingers clasp hers, but they slip from my grip as we’re forced to separate. “Don’t worry Prim, I’ll see you at dinner”, she smiles at me but it doesn’t reach her eyes. I take my place amongst the other 12 year-olds, their faces a reflection of my unease.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to welcome you all to the 74th Hunger Games!”, Effie’s voice booms out over the crowd. My hands are shaking, and I feel like my heart might jump out of my chest. “Ladies first”, she announces with a flourish. Her hand scurries around in the Ball, finally taking hold of a single slip of paper. She returns to her microphone, takes a deep breath and…

“PRIMROSE EVERDEEN!” Heads turn in my direction. I hear a wail from the crowd that can only be my mother. Jumping out isn’t a concern for my heart anymore, because it’s stopped completely.
My legs feel like concrete as I take a tentative step towards the stage.
“I volunteer! I volunteer”. Comes a strained cry from somewhere behind me. That voice is too familiar.
Katniss is ahead of me long before I realize what this means. I have to sprint to catch her, grabbing hold of the back of her dress.
“You can’t do this”, I pant. “Mother needs you. And so do I”.

A strong hand is pulling me backwards, away from my sister. I struggle and kick and continue to shout. Katniss looks at me one last time, her face a mixture of determination and sadness.
“You can’t, you can’t”, my voice is weak from struggling, she turns and I watch her retreating back as she hurries towards the stage.

“Excellent, a volunteer always livens things up. A family member of yours was she?” Effie thrusts the microphone into Katniss’ face. I can’t take it in, her words are nothing but an inaudible drone in my ears. My sister puts on a brave face but I am not convinced. I feel like the world has stopped.

Nobody can say what’s in store for her, but I am sure of one thing. She has to win. I won’t let her die for the sake of my existence.









9 comments:

  1. I like it! I even read Effie's words in the voice from the trailer, haha.
    I guess my only 'critique' would be that in the second to last paragraph, you've ended a part of dialogue after the word 'excellent' but have had Effie continue to talk, and finishing her sentence on 'she'. So that's more of a punctuation thing.
    Also, in the sentence 'My sister puts on a brave face, I am not convinced.' i feel like there either needs to be a full stop where there is a comma, or the word 'but' between face and I.
    Otherwise, i like it a lot!
    But hey, what do i know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOEZAS!!! You got me into this story, I was wanting it to continue and now I just want to go watch the movie, you moved in this story. The only critique would be I wish you wrote more so that I could keep on reading, great story Laura. But Im no expert. "BELIEVE IT"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. It's amazing what you don't pick up on no matter how many times you proof-read! It's good to have a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura another thing what does this represent in your fanfic "***" and then there is the gap. Other then that please write more. "BELIEVE IT"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamiana, I used the stars to represent a change in time. You'll notice there's a chunk of the day missing from the story? I didn't want to confuse the readers, so thought this was the best method without having to describe what happened in between. Thanks for giving me the chance to explain :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had a thought, while I was writing I was worried that the narration wasn't convincing. Prim is only 12 years old, so writing it from her perspective meant I had to take on a 12 year old mindset. I'm not sure I succeeded. Although Prim's character is intelligent and worldly, would she really think like that? Let me know if you think the writing beyond her. Particularly in the fourth paragraph. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that makes allot of sense, thats the reason why you put those stars there thanks for that tip Laura. As for writing in the pov of Prim, well since you did say she is a intelligent and worldly girl, plus looking at her picture she looks quite intelligent and timid. Well done in potraying that. "BELIEVE IT"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously can't remember if i was that insightful when i was 12, so i think you can get away with it because none of us can remember how 12 year olds think or talk. Because i don't think you want to completely dumb her down, you know? I think it's perfect the way it is. I guess if you're still worried though, you can just use a thesaurus and find the most simple version of the words you're worried about. But yaaaay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work. I like the simile "hangs in the air like a poisonous gas", - very effective. And also the line "The knot in my stomach loosens a little", a great alternative to just saying 'she was relieved'.
    Couple of things though. In the 10th paragraph you've said "I glimpse Effie Trinket...", is that done on purpose? Does it make sense? and also "their faces a reflection my unease" - is worded incorrectly. But everything else is sterling. And I don't think the narration is too advanced for Prim - to answer your previous comment/question.

    ReplyDelete